For how many people: 4
5 pulses (each 1/4 cup whole moong, whole masoor dal, whole urad dal, chana dal, tur dal), 2 tbsp ghee, 1 tsp shah jeera, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt as per taste.
For tempering: 4 tbsp white butter, 4-5 French beans finely chopped, 1 tomato finely chopped, 1/2 cup whipped curd, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 large cardamom seeds crushed, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves, 1-2 green chilies chopped.
1. Wash and soak the pulses for two hours.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan. Then add cumin seeds and crackle on low flame. Add onion and fry till light brown.
3. Drain the water from the pulses and pour it into the pan. Then fry with onions on low flame for 4-5 minutes. Add five cups of water and bring it to a boil. Let it cook on low flame.
4. Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, and salt and mix. Cover and cook well for half an hour on low flame.
5. For tempering, melt butter in a pan. Then add beans, tomatoes, curd, and garam masala and fry well on medium flame. Until the smooth edges begin to appear.
6. Now add coarsely ground cardamom and stir for a few seconds. Then add red chili powder. Add this mixture to the cooked dal and temper it and cover it for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with butter and green chili on top and serve hot.