Following his hospital release, US Defense Chief Austin will “work from home,” according to the Pentagon

Following his second hospitalization at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center following surgery for prostate cancer, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was discharged on Tuesday and returned to his full responsibilities, according to the Pentagon. Austin, 70, has experienced continuous health problems ever since he underwent surgery in December. Due to a bladder problem, he was brought back to Walter Reed on Sunday and was once again put to critical care. On Monday, he was put under general anesthesia for a non-surgical operation.


Austin is able to work from home: Doctor Austin’s medical team said on Tuesday that the procedure was the cause of his bladder problem. Dr. Gregory Chesnut, head of the Center for Prostate Disease Research at the Murtha Cancer Center, and Dr. John Maddox, trauma medical director, stated in a statement that “the bladder issue was not related to his cancer diagnosis and will have no effect on his excellent cancer prognosis.” Austin will work from home on their recommendation before going back to the Pentagon later this week. According to a statement from the Pentagon, he has “full access to the unclassified and classified communications systems necessary to perform his duties” from his home.

On Wednesday, a virtual gathering of over fifty nations that get together once a month to arrange military assistance for Ukraine is scheduled to take place in Austin. He had been due in Brussels on Tuesday for that discussion over Ukraine, and on Thursday he was to attend a quarterly gathering of NATO defense ministers. In Brussels, however, Austin will be represented by Julie Smith, the US ambassador to NATO. Austin had to stay in the Walter Reed hospital for two weeks in January due to post-operative problems. His physicians at Walter Reed had said they did not think he would be in the hospital this time around for an extended amount of time.