UN Human Rights Council chief's visit to China ends, requests to review counter-terrorism policies

UN Human Rights Council chief's visit to China ends, requests to review counter-terrorism policies

UN Human Rights Chief Michelle Bachelet's six-day visit to China came to an end on Saturday. He said that I have requested Beijing to review its anti-terrorism policies. In a statement, the human rights chief also shared concerns about certain human rights mechanisms regarding laws and policies to combat terrorism and extremism.

"Violent acts of extremism have a serious and terrifying effect on the lives of those who have been entrusted with the security of the country, including the victims," ​​Bachelet said. But it is imperative that counter-terrorism responses result in human rights violations. He said the visit was not an investigation, it was an opportunity to have a direct discussion.


He said the visit was also an opportunity to support China in fulfilling its obligations under international human rights law and to pave the way for dialogue. "I have expressed concern to the Chinese authorities about the impact of anti-terrorism and radicalization measures implemented on the Uighurs and other Muslim communities in the Xinjiang region of China," he said.

Michelle Bachelet, who visited China for the first time in 17 years as the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said that I have noted the lack of independent judicial oversight to look into the system of detention camps. According to experts, more than one million Uighurs and other ethnic minorities have been held in these detention camps.

Arrests under national security law in Hong Kong are worrying
The UN human rights chief expressed concern over the arrests of advocates, activists, and journalists in Hong Kong under alleged national security laws. China implemented this law in Hong Kong on July 1, 2020. Dozens of former opposition leaders and high-profile journalists have been detained in Hong Kong under China's dictatorial law.

(with language input)


Indian-origin man shot dead in a parked car in New York

Indian-origin man shot dead in a parked car in New York

A Sikh community man has been shot dead in New York, USA. According to media reports, 31-year-old Satnam Singh of Indian origin was sitting in a parked car in the South Ozone Park section of Queens. Then a man with a gun came to him and opened fire on Satnam Singh. In this firing, he was shot in the head, due to which he died. The New York Police Department told the media that the gunman who killed Satnam Singh had reached them on foot. Along with this, he told that this entire incident has been captured on a nearby CCTV camera. We have received that CCTV footage and we are probing the incident.


Simultaneously, New York Police said that according to CCTV footage, the gunman who attacked the attack did not know who was sitting in the car. We are trying to find out whether the attacker had come to kill the owner of the car.

There have been attacks on Sikhs in America before
According to media reports, a Sikh person has been attacked in America even before this. Earlier in April, a Sikh man was attacked in the Richmond Hills area of ​​New York, USA. At the same time, 10 days ago also an elderly Sikh was attacked in the same area.

condemn the incident
The Consulate General of India in New York has lodged a complaint condemning the incident. Let us tell you that earlier Jennifer Rajkumar, the first Punjabi American woman elected to the New York State Office, had said that violence against the Sikh community has increased in the last few years.

(with language input)