US withdraws from joining attack as Israel launches a counteroffensive against the Iranian missile barrage

After Iran launched more than 300 missiles and drones in retaliation for Israel’s attack on the Iranian consulate in the Syrian capital of Damascus earlier this month, the Israeli war cabinet, chaired by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, convened on Sunday.

According to a source quoted by the Times of Israel, the war cabinet has said that there would be retribution but has not yet determined when the strike will take place.

It’s obvious that Israel will react. US station NBC cited an Israeli prime minister’s office official as stating, “The IDF will need to present options.”

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi issued a warning to Israel on Sunday, averting a “reckless” counterattack that would result in “a decisive and much stronger response.”

According to a different story published by the news agency Reuters, the Israeli military cabinet supports taking revenge on Iran, but disagreements persist over the specifics of when and how much to take.

President Joe Biden informed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Washington would not provide military backing for any reprisals against Iran, a senior US source told news agency AFP.

“We wouldn’t participate in any reaction they take. News agency AFP reported an Israeli source as stating, “We would not envision ourselves participating in such an act.”

According to a different Axios story, Biden instructed Netanyahu to “take the win” and reiterated Washington’s “ironclad” backing for Israel, warning him that Washington would thwart an Israeli assault.

Naftali Bennett, a former prime minister of Israel and member of the war cabinet, said that Tehran’s support of Palestinian Hamas, Lebanese Hezbollah, Yemeni Houthis, and other terror organizations is what Israel should have addressed instead of pushing Israel toward a military response against their common enemy, Iran.

In response to Biden’s “take the win” remark, Bennett remarked that while Israel may have repelled the onslaught, it is not a triumph.

“This is a victory, you’ve already won by thwarting the missiles,” the US government is assuring us. Nothing further needs to be done. No, it isn’t a triumph. Bennett said in a long social media post on X, “Yes, Israel’s air defense systems have achieved a fantastic feat, but it’s not a win.

Saying that “nobody got hurt” is false. Amina Elhasuny, an Israeli-Arab child of seven years old, is battling for her life. He went on, “That’s who Coward Khamenei hit.”

The only Israeli Bedouin reported seriously wounded in this historic strike by Tehran was seven-year-old Amina Hassouna. She is now being treated at the Soroka hospital in Beersheba, in the critical care unit.

He bemoaned in his article that Israel had, for “thirty years,” pursued an incorrect course of action in failing to attack the “terror-octopus,” alluding to Iran’s backing of its proxies, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

Tehran is the head of a terror octopus, with tentacles extending into Gaza, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, and Syria. Playing along with this policy has been Israel’s strategic error for the last thirty years. We never stopped fighting the Octopus’ arms, but we never really got the Iranian head for our troubles. It’s time for this to change: do Hamas or Hezbollah launch rockets into Israel? Tehran incurs costs, according to Bennett.

In response to Israel’s attack on the Iranian embassy in the Syrian capital of Damascus earlier this month, Iran launched more than 300 missiles and drones, killing seven members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), including two senior generals.

US and G7 Slam Iran
As Iran launched unprecedented missile and drone assaults on Israel on Saturday, raising fears that they may ignite a broader conflict in the West Asian area, the US supported Israel while other western and global powers urged moderation.

The prime ministers of the United Kingdom, Japan, Italy, France, and Canada were present at the G7 summit called by US President Joe Biden, UK PM Rishi Sunak, Italian PM Giorgia Meloni, and French President Emmanuel Macron.

I called a meeting of the G7 leaders today to address Iran’s unprecedented aggression on Israel. In a tweet, Biden said, “We will keep cooperating to stabilize the situation in the area and prevent further escalation.”

In a communiqué, the G7 leaders also called on Iran to stop its strikes and denounced the attacks. We expect Iran and its allies to stop attacking, and we’re prepared to act both immediately and in reaction to any further attempts to destabilize the situation. Iran’s activities have contributed to the region’s destabilization and run the danger of igniting an uncontrollably high level of regional tension. In the statement released by the Italian G7 leadership, they said, “This has to be avoided.”

In an effort to halt further escalation, his government also made contact with regional powers. In a conversation with his Turkish colleague Hakan Fidan, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken expressed gratitude for Fidan’s efforts to stop the situation from becoming worse.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin stated that he had three different conversations with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Sunday and that the required measures would be taken to protect Iranian and Israeli soldiers.

“To discuss the successful joint operation by the United States, Israel, and their allies to protect Israel against unprecedented strikes launched from Iranian land and by Iran’s proxies, I met with Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant today for the third time this weekend. Austin said, “The US will continue to take all necessary steps to defend Israel and US personnel, even though we do not seek an escalation.”

US House Speaker Mike Johnson said on Sunday that he intends to extend wartime funding to Israel this week in response to Iran’s strike over the weekend, despite the fact that US help for both Israel and Ukraine has stagnated due to political squabbling in Congress.