NATIONAL

Congress holds Modi accountable for Nehru’s errors: EAM

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said on Monday that while the Congress feels it is not responsible for previous actions, it does hold Prime Minister Narendra Modi responsible for the errors committed by former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru when speaking about China.

Regarding Chinese aggression in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh, Jaishankar said that China had seized territory in India from 1958 to 1962, and that part of that land had been acquired before to 1958.

Jaishankar made a personal attack on Rahul Gandhi by stating that “gun down your own forces” is “very, very sad.” “The territory you keep claiming China took was lost in 1962. In answer to a question during this press conference, he said, “I see efforts made to mislead the country.”

Relations between China and India have been tense, particularly after the June 2020 incident in the Galwan Valley that saw fighting between Chinese and Indian forces that left both sides with fatalities.

Since then, both China and India have been building up their militaries along the LAC, putting their ties in a “abnormal state.” People claim the Chinese are constructing communities on the border, but the External Affairs Minister clarified that this is in Longju, an area in Arunachal Pradesh that the Chinese assaulted and controlled in 1959.

Jaishankar urged the audience, “Please look at that village on the Google map and triangulate it with what Nehru said to the Parliament in 1959.”

In Pangong Tso, Ladakh, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and his party spoke about a bridge that China is building, but Jaishankar said that the bridge is being constructed in a location that the Chinese invaded in 1958 and then retook in 1962.

According to the EAM, a representative for the Congress recently said that the Chinese had constructed a road in Shaksgam Valley, raising fears for Siachen. — PTI

“Willing to continue the Nijjar case inquiry”

Regarding the fourth arrest made by Canada in connection with the death of Khalistan terrorist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, Jaishankar said on Monday that India has never received anything concrete and deserving of being investigated by its investigative authorities.
If Ottawa has any information or proof of any violence that should be looked into in India, Jaishankar said that New Delhi is willing to conduct an inquiry.

Related Articles

Back to top button