India called China's attempt to stop the proposal to blacklist Masood Azhar 'regrettable' and said - efforts will continue
New Delhi: India has condemned China's technical stay on the UN's proposal to blacklist Abdul Rauf Azhar, brother of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar and Pakistan-based terrorist organization No. Describing it as 'necessary', he said on Wednesday that he would continue efforts to bring such terrorists to justice. "We regret that there has been a 'technical stay' on the proposal to blacklist Abdul Rauf Azhar," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi told reporters. The international community is unable to speak in one voice when it comes to the collective fight against terrorism.
The spokesman said that as you all know that Abdul Rauf was involved in the hijacking of Indian Airlines aircraft IC814 in 1998, the attack on Parliament in 2001, the terrorist attack on the Indian Army camp in Kathua in 2014, and the Air Force base at Pathankot in 2016. He has been involved in planning and carrying out several terrorist attacks in India, including targeting. Bagchi said Rauf was already declared wanted under Indian and US law and it was unnecessary to impose a "technical restraint" on such a wanted terrorist. The Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson said that India will continue to pursue its principled stand to bring such terrorists to justice, including through the UN Security Council Sanctions Arrangement 1267. He also referred to the statement made on 9 August by the Permanent Representative of India in New York on this issue. On this issue, India's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ruchira Kamboj on Tuesday said that the trend of pending or blocking the request to list terrorists without explanation should end. For effective functioning of sanctions committees, they need to be made more transparent, accountable, and fair, he had said. The trend of barring and obstructing the listed requests without any justification must end."
Kamboj had said, it is extremely regrettable that genuine and evidence-based proposals to blacklist some of the world's most feared terrorists are being shelved. Such double standards have "reduced the credibility of the Security Council's sanctions regime to an all-time low." Significantly, China on Wednesday put a technical hold on a joint resolution backed by India and the US in the UN Security Council to blacklist Rauf. The move was supported by all the other 14 member states of the Security Council. This is the second time in less than two months that China has blocked a proposal by the US and India to blacklist a Pakistan-based terrorist under the UN Security Council's Sanctions Committee. China had earlier in June this year stalled at the last minute a joint proposal by India and the US to include Pakistani terrorist Abdul Rehman Makki in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) banned list. Makki is a relative of Lashkar-e-Taiba chief and main conspirator of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks Hafiz Saeed. On this subject, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin, while answering a question at the press conference, said, "We need more time to assess the application to ban this man.