Painful! Three-year-old child dies after swallowing coin, hospital refuses treatment

Painful! Three-year-old child dies after swallowing coin, hospital refuses treatment

Kochi. A three-year-old child swallowed a coin in his house near Aluva city in Kerala, causing his death. Relatives have alleged that he was refused admission to government hospitals where the child was taken as he came from Kovid-19 prohibited area. Health Minister KK Selja described the incident as "extremely unfortunate" and directed the Principal Secretary (Health) to submit a report after conducting a detailed investigation. He said in a statement that if any lapse is found, strict action will be taken.

The child's family alleged that he was refused treatment because he was from Kadungallur near Aluva, which falls in the covid-19 prohibited area. He said the coin-swallowing incident occurred on Saturday morning, after which the child's parents took him to the Aluva government hospital. Where X-rays were done. Hospital officials have been accused of not hiring the child.

A senior doctor claimed that the boy was not admitted to the hospital because there was no pediatrician and he was sent to Ernakulam General Hospital. The doctors examined the child there and he was sent to the Government Medical College Hospital in Alappuzha for better medical care. He was not admitted there either. It is reported that the doctors advised the parents to feed the child with fruits. According to him, the coin would have come out through defecation. The parents took the child back home. Police said that by the evening the child's condition worsened and he was taken to Aluva Government Hospital, but died on the way. Health officials said the body would be handed over to the parents after the post-mortem. He said that samples of baby swabs have been taken for Kovid-19 examination.